
Today, 21st December, was the shortest day of the year - Midwinters day. The sun set at 15:20 (where I was).
Tonight I went to a concert at the Albert Hall. It was called the ‘Glory of Christmas’ and included a rousing and classic rendition of carols, chorals and Christmassy music sung and played beautifully. After an extortionate interval! we were surprised by a performance by Jo Brand – la comedienne – on the Organ. Yes Jo Brand playing Widor’s Toccata on the ‘Mt Everest of Pipe Organs – complete with 10,000 pipes and 200 stops (oooooh!). Who knew Jo Brand could play the organ!
And our persistent applause at the end of the show paid off and we earned an encore. The whole house got involved with a rousing version of the ’12 days of Christmas’ complete with actions and backed by the orchestra and choir. It was uplifting and hilarious – who said the British were reserved?!
And I realised that Queen Victoria must have got to Christmas in 1871 and had the same problem we’ve all faced – what on earth do I give to a man who has everything?
She built him an organ wrapped in a large round hall!
And I realised that for me Christmas is a celebration of a conundrum - the mystery of ‘my True Love gave to me’ and my new-years-resolution response….‘What can I give Him, poor that I am…..’
Merry Christmas one and all!

No comments:
Post a Comment